How to search
The search box situated in the middle of the screen enables a full-text search. Therefore, you can search for anything you are interested in: A subject (“ecological”), general search term (“rooftop”), names of authors or architects and so forth.
- Start typing your search term right away into the search box.
- Either click the search icon (magnifying glass) or press Enter to show results.
- On the results page, edit you search term in the search box above the left-side filter menu.
- When viewing a project or article, the full-text search remains available through a click on the search icon in the upper right corner, next to the login/logout button.
- A full-text search means that the full entries are being browsed. To perform a more targeted search for an entry, please combine two search terms or use the filters.
- Pressing the Enter key without inserting a search term will bring you directly to an overview of all entries in the database. You will then be able to filter the entries by your desired categories.
How to sort your results
On the results page, please find the option “Sort by” in the left-side menu at the top.
Click the small arrow to open a drop-down menu with sorting options. You can sort your search results by one of the following criteria:
- Relevance: Search results are sorted by relevance by default.
- Year – Ascending: Order projects by their construction date, from oldest to most recent.
- Year – Descending: Order projects by their construction date, from most recent to oldest.
How to filter your results
The filters are the most effective way to narrow down your results by specific aspects. The filters are based on metadata that have been assigned to the projects and articles.
You can find the filters in the left-side menu. Each filter category (e.g. “Building Types”) provides a drop-down menu from which you can select a specific term (e.g. “Housing”) within that filter category. The number after a term indicates the total amount of entries that match this term.
Please find below all available filter categories with explanations.
- Entry Type
Both projects and articles are shown by default. Use this filter to either display “Projects” for building projects and case studies or “Articles” for thematic articles on various subjects.
- Building Types
Filter by building types such as “Housing” or “Museums”.
- Morphological Types
Filter by morphological types such as “High-Rise” or “Solitary Building”.
- Urban Context
Filter by urban contexts such as “Green Spaces/Parks” or “Suburbia”.
Filter by programs such as “Secondary School” or “Storage”.
Type in the first letters of an architect or firm name to find the desired name more quickly.
Type in the first letters of a country to filter by your desired location of a building.
Select time periods from “1945–1949” to “2020–2029” or “Before 1945” to narrow down your results. The time periods cover the planning and constructing phases of a project.
- Volumetric Configuration
Filter by volumetric configurations (geometric organizations) such as “Cluster” or “Linear”.
Select between “Low-“, “Mid-“, and “High-Rise”.
- Load-Bearing Structure
Select between “Column-and-Slab”, “Solid Construction”, and “Wide-Span Structures”.
- Access Type
Filter by access types such as “Atrium/Hall” or “Courtyard Access”.
Filter by building layouts such as “Interconnected Ensemble” or “Split-Level”.
- Outdoor Space
Filter by outdoor spaces such as “Balcony” or “Roof Terrace”.
- Combine filters from several filter categories such as “Building Type” and “Urban Context” to find what you are looking for.
- Remove single filters by clicking on the “x” beside the respective term (e.g. “Courtyard Access” in “Access Type”).
- Click the button “Clear All Filters” on top of the filter menu to reset your filters at once.
Last edited: 02/02/2023